Sunday 27 March 2011

HOMONYMS

1. Accede - (Agree) eg. –He did not accede to my request
Exceed - (Surpass ; to be greater then ) eg. – The precis should not exceed 150
worlds.
2. Access - (Approach ; reach ; admittance )
eg. – I have no approach to the Managing Director.
Excess - (Superabundance ; more then due)
Excess of everything isbad.
3. Accept - (Take )
Please accept my application.
Except - ( Leaving out )
Every student except Ram was pesent.
4. Adapt - (Suit ; Accustomed to )
He has now learnt to adapt himself to the local conditions.
Adept - ( expert ; skilful )
She is adept in painting.
Adopt - (take up)
I have adopted my brother’s son.
5. Affect - ( to pretend ; to act upon)
This does not affect me.
Effect - ( as verb it means accomplish, or carry into practice ; as noun it means
result)
What is the effect of this medicine ?
6. Addition - (putting more ; adding )
This is an addition to your share.
Edition - (a number of books printed at one time.)
This is the first addition of my book.
7. Alter - (change.)
I can’t altar my programme.
Altar - (place of offring in a temple or church.)
Put your offering s on the altar.
8. Allusion - (indirect referance.)
Make the allusion clear.
Illusion - (a deceptive apperance.)
The world is an illusion.
99999
9. Apposite - (proper ; suitable)
He made some very apposite abservations on your system of education in his speech.
Opposite - (standing in front of or contrary to.)
Our school is opposite the church.
10. Assent - (agreement ; concurrence .)
I have already given my assent to your proposal.
Ascent - (going up.)
This hill has a sharp ascent.
11. Antic - (odd ; strange.)
This is an antic piece of art.
Antique - (ancient ; old-fashioned.)
The church has an antique magnificence.
12. All - ( to be ill.)
He has beenailing for over a week.
Ale - (a drinks)
He drinkscountry ale.
13. All together - (in a body )
They come all together.
Altogether -( completely.)
This is altogether a lie.
14. All ready - (all things or persons are ready.)
We are now all ready to go.
Already - (before this time.)
I have already returned his book.
15. Ark - (covered floating vessel.)
Noah saved himself and his tribe in an ark.
Arc - (a part of a circle.)
The moon is in the shape of an arc.


16. Amiable - (lovable)
She is a girl of amiable nature.
Amicable - ( Friendly.)
Let us come to an amicable settlement.
17. Bale - (package of goods.)
I have taken delivery of a bale of clothes.
Ball - ( Security.)
The suspect has been released on bail.
18. Berth - (sleeping place in a train.)
I have bookes two berths.
Birth - (coming to life.)
Today is my son’s birth-day.
19. Bare - ( uncovered.)
Don’t go bare-footed.
Beer - ( A kind of drink.)
He drank a glass of beer.
20. Beach - (shore)
Let us go for a walk on the beach.
Beech - (a kind of tree.)
Beech tree grows on the Himalayas.

No comments:

Post a Comment