Thursday 7 April 2011

Subordinateing Conjunctions

Subbordinating Conjunctions can be classified as follows :-
(1)    Of Time.
I would like to die before I lied.
Wait till ( or until) I return.
Many things have happened here since you left.

Make hay while the sun shines.
He returned home after  the sun had set.
(2)    Of Cause or Reason.
I love her  because she is a beautiful lady.
Scince you desire it, I will go with him.
Let us go to bed as it is 12 O’clock.
(3)    Of Result or Consequence.
She wept so much that she lost her voice for a while.
He was so intelligent that he answered all the questions.
(4)    Of Purpose.
We eat that we may live.
He work hard so that he might pass.
Walk carefully lest you should fall.
(5)    Of Condition.
I will dismiss you if you are late again.
I agree to these terms provided you agree to mine.
He run as if he had been shot.
Unless you work won’t be successful.
(6)    Of Concession or Contrast.
A book’s a book although there is nothing in it.
He is an honest man although he is poor.
He is not satisfied though he is very rich.
He will never pass however hard he may try.

Though he is lame yet he can very fast.
(7)    Of Comparison.
He is as clever as I (am).
I like her as much as I (like you)
He likes me no less than you (he likes you).
He is more intelligent  than you (are).
(8)    Of Extent or Manner.
Men will reap as they sow.
He chose the candidates according as they were qualified.

No comments:

Post a Comment